This week’s Tech Roundup includes upgrading to Windows 8, Google Easter Eggs, and an iTunes adventure.
Should You Upgrade to Windows 8? – I could certainly handle a 6-second boot-up. Worth a read if you are considering upgrading to Windows 8 when it comes out.
10 Nifty Google Easter Eggs That Will Amuse You – These are fun! Take a couple of minutes to take a look.
Adobe Abandons Flash on Mobile Devices – I’m all for more HTML5 and less Flash. Glad to see this move by Adobe.
If you know me personally you know I’ve struggled with my iTunes library since I upgraded my machine to Windows 7 a few months ago. OMG. That was a nightmare! I wasn’t really without my music but I kinda was. And I didn’t feel like I could buy anything new because I knew I had a huge mess I needed to fix. I tried just about everything I could think of and research online and finally I decided I was just going to need to take a few hours and do a whole bunch of manual work. I had music files in 2 different places before the OS upgrade and each time I tried to fix my library before I’d end up with 3-6 duplicates of almost everything. Anyway… I finally fixed it! Here’s what I did:
- Closed iTunes
- Removed iTunes folder (where the library files live)
- Removed all of my music folders
- Fired up my external drive with my backed up music on it
- Copied over one set of music directories
- With the second set of directories, I went through each one and compared it to the one I had just copied. If there were duplicates I either didn’t copy them or I fixed them in some way (some weren’t in an album directory, for example).
- With everything copied to my music directory, I fired up iTunes and added my music folder to the library. It worked for quite a while (almost 5500 songs, not to mention videos and podcasts) and then I imported my playlists.
- I had iTunes show my all my duplicates and I removed the ones that were legit (I have some songs multiple times on different albums – think Christmas music). There were way fewer duplicates than even pre-upgrade.
- I wiped and synced my iPod for the first time in months.
- Finally, I squealed with joy and did a little dance. A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I happily started the Christmas music up. :)
That was my “geek” project for the week. Did you do anything geeky-fun this week?
Have a great weekend!